We are looking for an expert with a strong carbon market and regulation background, as well as experience in the oil and gas and/or energy sector, carbon crediting and finance, global energy policy (Paris Agreement Article 6, CDM, CBAM etc.) and stakeholder engagement.
The Chief Development Officer - Carbon Credits (CDO) will be responsible for the quality of activities and deliverables of the carbon credit project development cycle as well as the development strategies for carbon credit sales to include the development of new concepts and market outlets for monetizing the emission reductions.
The CDO will be the principal driving force for establishing new and developing existing carbon market outlets within the compliance (EU ETS, EU FQD – especially the German FQD, and global ETS markets, such as California’s and China’s ETS, KETS etc.) and voluntary carbon markets.
The role encompasses liaising with key partners in project host countries including national and private oil, gas and other resource production and exploration companies, technology and service providers, customers, traders, high-ranking government and regulatory officials, and partners for the purchase of carbon credits.
ICA-Finance operates worldwide, predominantly within the emerging and developing economies except for China, Russia, and North Korea. Extensive travel for business negotiations and deal acquisition will be expected. The position involves work with high-ranking officials and executives in countries which normally would not be regarded as tourist destinations, such as Iraq, Nigeria, Iran, and others. ICA-Finance ensures the full safety and protection during all business operations.
The CDO will receive active ongoing support from the company's owners and partners who have extensive international experience in business development within the energy and climate fields. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right expert to get a first-hand involvement in decarbonization of the sector to engage with key sector players by utilizing their existing expertise on carbon market mechanisms.
- Conducting oversight of process(es) to select projects for carbon credit development;
- Acting as the key project development expert on carbon market mechanisms including but not limited to the EU ETS, EU FQD, voluntary carbon markets (VCMs), CDM, CBAM, Paris Agreement Article 6, carbon credit issuance project development cycle, and monitoring, verification, and reporting (MVR) mechanisms.
- Ensuring quality assurance of deliverables for project validation and verification according to established rules, procedures and schemes (such as the Gold Standard, Verra, and ACR for the voluntary carbon markets);
- Initiating activities to broaden the scope of methane emission reduction projects and programs being eligible for earning carbon credits and other result-based climate finance, including the development of methodologies, standards, and protocols (ISO standards, UNFCCC CDM methodologies etc.);
- Staying abreast of existing and new rules and procedures of relevant carbon credits trading schemes as well as trace new schemes and market outlets for monetization of emission reductions;
- Developing [product] strategies for broadening the scope and scale of project development and marketing of emission reductions for monetization;Managing key stakeholder relationships.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience as a successful executive with managerial responsibility in the energy sector, preferably within the oil and gas sector;
- Solid experience in developing project strategies, conducting oversight of the project development process and advancing new project leads;
- Deep knowledge in upstream emission reductions (UERs), carbon credit programs, mechanisms, markets and trading schemes (CDM, EU ETS, EU FQD, particularly the German FQD, VCMs), especially in emerging economies;
- Broad understanding of the main carbon market regulations, methodologies, frameworks, and policy mechanisms (Paris Agreement Article 6, UNFCCC CDM methodologies etc.)
- Experience and knowledge of carbon credit standards (Gold Standard, Verra, ACR etc.);
- Excellent verbal and communication skills even under challenging situations – English is required; German and additional languages are an advantage;
- Minimum of a Master's Degree qualification in a relevant field;
- Hands-on, self-reliant, team oriented, and pragmatic mentality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients from diverse cultures, backgrounds and fields.
Please note that the position is based in Oslo, Norway; hence, international applicants need to hold the right to work in the country or be able and willing to obtain the relevant working visa or permit.